3 Steps to a Healthier Lifestyle
Starting on your journey to a healthier lifestyle can be a daunting task, especially if you have tried before and failed. Follow these three tips to help you overcome your obstacles and get on your way to a healthier you!
STEP 1. OVERCOME YOUR OBSTACLES
Living a healthy lifestyle can be a little intimidating. There’s so many obstacles to overcome:
LACK OF TIME
There’s only so much time in a single day. A busy life makes it hard to find time to workout and cook healthy meals, but it can be done.
- Start with short workouts and put them on your calendar
- Take the time to plan your meals before you go shopping
- Make the time, or get creative
NO MOTIVATION/ ENERGY
We’ve all been there. You just finished a long shift, standing on your feet all day long, and the last thing you want to do is MORE work. How do we overcome this?
- Workout before work or on a break if possible
- Rely on discipline at first until it becomes a habit
- Find something you enjoy!
- Make sure your diet is providing you with the energy you need
IT’S TOO EXPENSIVE
Imagine this: You just planned the perfect meal with organic free-range lean turkey meat, steamed asparagus and some mashed cauliflower for your family. You get to the register and it costs twice as much as just buying a ready made dinner in the freezer section. There has to be a better way…
- Plan to buy in bulk. Check the pricing labels to check cost per ounce for items that have a longer shelf life. Often times you will find that larger quantities may cost more up front, but will save money in the long run.
- Look for “deals of the week” and plan a menu according to what’s already on sale.
- Create a menu of inexpensive items: Broccoli, Chicken breast, Rice, beans, potatoes…
Then get creative with the cooking!
STEP 2. START SMALL, THEN GROW
There’s a misconception that we have to start with a perfect plan:
- Workout 5 days a week
- 4-6 perfectly portioned meals a day
- No gluten, dairy, carbs, fats, protein, sugar, alcohol, calories, fun, life…
OR we can be realistic and start small:
START SMALL PLAN
- Start with 2-3 days a week and try to find a buddy to join you
- Start by eating one healthier meal a day
- Make one change at a time to your nutrition and adjust as needed over time
It is more motivating to succeed with something way to easy, than to fail at something way too hard.
By starting small and making small changes you will:
- Build Confidence
- Create foundational habits
- STICK WITH IT!
STEP 3. DITCH THE ALL-OR-NOTHING MENTALITY
You just started your first week of your plan. You’ve done all of your workouts for 3 weeks straight and you stuck with your meal plan perfectly.
One Monday, you have to pull a double and can’t make it to the gym and have to eat something from the vending machines between shifts. This causes you to sleep late the next morning and you’re tired the whole day so you skip the gym again. Now, since you’ve missed two days, what’s the point of finishing out the week…?
What happens if you want to enjoy a night out with friends on the weekend?
ADOPTING A “B-AVERAGE” MENTALITY
The first thing we have to accept, is that life happens.
How will you respond when it does? Adopting a “B-Average” mentality means that we allow ourselves some flexibility. After all, your health and fitness routine should work around your life, not the other way around!
Need help with your Wellness Plan?
Our Wellness Team and Personal Trainers are highly certified to help you reach your health and wellness goals! A free wellness goals & fitness assessment is included with all YMCA Memberships. Learn more about becoming a member>